Nothing strikes more fear in the heart of a parent than a recently-licensed teen. In addition to higher auto insurance rates, there are the woes that they will be safe on the road.
One way to ensure that they are at least safer while on the roads is finding the right car. We’ve come a long way since the days of automatic seatbelts. Technology has been a game changer for the better or worse.
The worse? Smartphones have presented the challenge of driving while distracted. For the better? Technology has been integrated into today’s vehicles including backup cameras, airbags and emergency braking that engages in an emergency.
However, there are also simpler options to consider when choosing the right vehicle for your teen driver. Organizations such as Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and The American Automobile Association all agree that mid-size sedans are the safest type of vehicle.
Some might argue that SUVs and pickup trucks are just as safe but tend to rollover versus mid-size sedans. Other safety features to consider include: anti-lock brakes, a crash notification system, and a collision warning system.
Consumer Reports put together a list of the safest sedans for teens to drive in 2018, broken down make, model, and price range.
The Safest Cars For Teens in Connecticut
1. Chevrolet Sonic | Price Range: $15,000 – $21,000
2. Ford Edge | Price Range: $28,900 – $40,000
3. Ford Escape | Price Range: $24,000 – $31,000
4. Ford Fusion | Price Range: $22,000 – $41,000
5. Honda Accord | Price Range: $24,000 – $35,000
6. Honda CR-V | Price Range: $24,000 – $34,000
7. Hyundai Elantra | Price Range: $16,000 – $23,000
8. Honda HR-V | Price Range: $19,000 – $26,000
9. Hyundai Elantra | Price Range: $16,000 – $23,000
Newer models generally offer more safety features and provide better crash protection, but there are plenty of used options out there as well! For complete road tests, reliability, owner satisfaction, pricing, and much more, click here. I hope you found this article hopeful. If you’d like to see more articles like this, please Like Us on Facebook!
Digital Marketing Director